Wirksworth Town Council has a casual vacancy for a Councillor.
No prior experience is needed, just a positive outlook, willingness to work as part of a team and a drive to be a voice for your local community. We will support you in your new role and offer training so that you are effective in the position. If you are over 18, live locally and feel you can make a real change, why not put yourself forward?
In order to apply you must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be registered as a local government elector for the Town – give electoral number; or
- Have occupied as owner or tenant, within the preceding 12 months, land or premises in the Town – give address; or
- Had their principal or only place of work, during the last 12 months, within the Town – give address; or
- Have, during the preceding 12 months, resided in the Town or within 4.8 kilometres of it – give address and
- Be 18 years of age or over – give date of birth.
- Not be disqualified for holding office as a member of a local authority – see extracts from the Local Government Act 1972.
- Submit details of any political party membership.
- Be willing to sign-up to the Members’ Code of Conduct by signing the Electoral Compact
- Be willing to complete the Declarations of Interests, to be publicised by Derbyshire Dales District Council.
Prior to applying it is most important you gain an understanding how things work and what the role of Councillor entails. It is therefore highly recommended you take the following steps:
1: Read – National Association of Local Councils (NALC) publication - The Good Councillor Guide
2: Join – one of our Full Council Meetings (all welcome).
3: Speak - to your local Councillor and/or our Town Clerk to find out more about the role. Contact details below.
Closing date: 1 December 2021
We look forward to hearing from you.